Friday, July 25, 2008

Favre From Perfect

January 26th, 1997. The day of Super Bowl XXXI, and the day I became a Brett Favre fanatic at age 5. Favre and the Packers won the game, and since then I have watched nearly every Green Bay game to date. I wore his jersey minimum twice a week, and now, after all that's happened as of late, I've lost all my respect for the future hall-of-famer.

When Favre "retired" at the press confrence, I was actually surprised. I knew he had been back in forth in his decision for the past couple years, but after going so far in the playoffs I thought for sure he wouldn't stop there. But, he did, and I had to deal with it.

A friend of mine that lives in Wisconsin sent me down a few notorious Wisconsin newspapers, and all had Favre on the cover. I framed the cover of "The Capital Times" which had Favre looking triumphant, and the background was inscribed with LEGEND.

Hardly. In his interview with Greta Van Susteren, Favre declared that he wanted to be released from the Packers, and went on whining about how nobody wants him in Green Bay, and after watching five minutes of it I was indignant about everything he was saying. I think he is being beyond selfish, its obvious that he's just bored at home and wants his football fix. He's throwing away his legacy, and seems to not care at all. He says he does, but if he did then he wouldn't try to play for a different team.

ESPN.com says the Jets and Bucs are interested in Favre.

I just can't picture Favre in a different uniform. Imagine him throwing to Joey Galloway in those hideous Bucaneer uniforms. It's disgusting.

ESPN also reports that the Packers are postponing retiring Favre's jersey, and I couldn't agree with the Pack any more. I think Mike McCarthy is handling the situation very well, he says that he will not release Favre, and Favre won't start if he stays in Green Bay. He couldn't have thought of a better idea, but he couldn't stop Favre from demanding a trade, so now we get to see Favre go fail at another team.

Why, Brett. Why.

No comments: